Tuesday, December 04, 2007

SNOW! SNOW! SNOW!

I totally added a few new links; check 'em the heck out! --> --> -->

Pretty cool sky, eh?

That is literally all i gots fer ya' fer now. I know that's lame because it's been so long since I've added anything, but here are several reasons:

  1. I really liked that last post. Those photos make me really happy. I mean, it was the sickest fall ever. (Editor's note: Mike San Marco is bitter because he lives in the city in Cincinnati and that's why he was complaining about the fall not lasting long enough with all those comments on the last entry. I still love him even though I pushed him head-first into a door once during a pick-up game of front yard hockey- but after all, that was 8 years ago.)
  2. We've been in a time of transition between the fall and winter, so I haven't taken many photos and I don't want to bore you with long stories, like the one about my team in the YMCA 25 and older basketball league (I'm serious) being 3-1. But since you asked, we recruited a high school friend of mine who's 6'8" and used to play in the NFL. Nice. It's not just him, though; everyone else is playing pretty awesome. Tonight we play the blue team, which is composed of a lot of slightly older individuals including 2 guys with grey hair, a woman that would crush me in a fight, and a fella that wears huge thick-rimmed glasses who could honestly pass for one of our fathers. Here's the catch: the teams's really good. They're super fundamental and they've been creaming everybody so we've got our work cut out for us. By the way, my brother Dave calls them "The Nerd Team." We're screwed.

Also, it is with much sincere delight that I let you know that it is officially winter in Northeast Ohio and we have received about 5" of snow in the last few days. Alpine Valley has been furiously making snow, and I hope to make the transition from running to XC skiing real soon.

Speaking of skiing, I turn 30 in February. I'm not one of those bashful people who don't bring up their birthday until the day after; I believe in extended celebrations... especially because I barely scraped by to this age by the skin of my teeth. So let's make it official: I'm starting to promote my birthday 2 months and 4 days in advance. February 8, 2008: Get ready for it.

I'm psyched to be turning 30. No, this is not denial; I feel like I've been in my twenties forever (almost 10 years, ya' know). Remember when you're young and all the old people are like, "enjoy this now because time flies... college is the fastest 4 years of your life" and all that crap? Well, I listened. My body feels like I'm 24 but my mind feels like I've been on this earth for 50 years. I've experienced the fullness of life and the nearness of death, and feel like I've earned 30. It's go time.

8 Comments:

At 8:51 AM, Blogger all cars said...

Good to hear from you.
And we received snow here in Cincy this morning. So fresh.

I for one would like to hear how you "barely scraped by to this age by the skin of my teeth."

So bring it.

 
At 9:51 AM, Blogger Mike San Marco said...

Dude, I'm glad to know you still love me even though YOU pushed ME into the door no matter how long ago...

And I love the weather and seasons in Cincinnati. I know it's mild compared to Chardon or Chagrin or Northwest Pa or wherever you are, but that's what makes it great.

For example, All Cars mentioned we had fresh snow this morning. Yup, 2 inches of it. To you guys up north, that is a joke of a snow, to us in Cincinnati, it's enough to send everyone into a crazed panic... including the transportation department of the district in which I teach, yielding a nice day at home with my family and a casual reading of my friends' blogs. (Actual, I would do that reading either way...)

But based on your pictures, your fall up north shamed ours down here in Cincinnati. I never once so a pond with such nice colors in it.

 
At 10:23 AM, Blogger bri guy's country said...

Good point, Mike. Thanks for humbling me by indulging me; that was a brilliant tactic... and congrats on having a day off; that is pretty sick.
Just to clarify, not only do I love Mike, but I love Cincinnati as well. It and its people have been good to me and I regularly promote it. I often struggle with the fact that there are some places there that are way cooler than Cleveland, but it is pretty hard to beat beautiful Geauga County.
Mike, when are you coming up for that Tribe game?

 
At 5:44 PM, Blogger Mike San Marco said...

That's what I do... I'm an indulgent humbler.

 
At 2:50 PM, Blogger drew said...

Brian,
Loved the update! I was actually thinking about you as I was walking to my office this morning. Glad you received some snow as well. Sweet pict! Nerdie nordies rejoice we have snow!!
drew larson

 
At 10:08 AM, Blogger rustafarian said...

bri, is it xc time yet? people are all over it here in boulder now that we have snow on the

 
At 3:20 PM, Blogger beefy said...

Brian Payne...brian ferry from Cincinnati way here.

Found this blogothon via San Marco's who found my blog via Reitano's. Go figure.

Got a couple kids now, working with students, refusing to grow up, taking 10 years for grad school. Good stuff.

Anyway...shoot me an email, visit my sorry excuse for a blog:

bferry(at)andersonhillsumc.org
www.theferryblog.blogspot.com

 
At 10:18 PM, Blogger rustafarian said...

still snowing there? please tell. boulder is 50 degress, but we got 30 inches in december! whoa!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home